The mission of CWC Kansas City is to provide an excellent public education focused on developing and demonstrating understanding while building connections within a diverse community.
CWC Kansas City Specialists will support the implementation of a high-quality, challenging academic program that includes curriculum consistent with the constructivist learning theory, and developing project- based, interdisciplinary units that allow students to develop and then demonstrate their understanding actively and creatively.
We are looking for candidates who have experience with similar models of instruction, working in diverse communities, and a solid understanding of supporting the academic, social, and emotional development of early elementary students.
This is a part-time position located in Kansas City, MO. For more information on Citizens of the World Charter Schools – Kansas City, please visit www.cwckansascity.org.
The Speech & Language Therapist will coordinate and provide developmentally appropriate services to students whose abilities may differ from their peers. Responsible for implementation of Individualized Education Plan (IEP) educational program planning, and evaluation for all assigned students. Conducts individual and group therapy sessions with all assigned students.
Responsibilities will include:
- Provide speech and language therapy to those students who are in need of these related services.
- Documents student progress on a regular basis
- Performs a variety of assessments and observations to determine the areas in which the student may need extra or modified services. Assessment areas will include articulation, sound system disorders, and language.
- Identifies the student’s needs and develops related lesson and teaching plans.
- Develops individualized education programs (IEPs) for each student assigned, setting goals and adopting modifications as necessary; ensures each student’s activities and lessons are planned and organized according to his/her abilities.
- Develops and teaches lessons that provide engaging learning opportunities for small groups and individual students while meeting required specifications of IEPs and 504 plans.
- Implements IEPs, provides ongoing or follow-up assessments, and continually tracks progress and makes modifications as necessary.
- Collaborates with classroom and homeroom teachers to ensure each student’s needs are met and plans are followed. Promoting safe and supportive school and classroom communities
- Actively participating in regular professional development activities, both internal and external, such as regular classroom observations, reflective discussion of professional practice, professional readings, visiting other classrooms and schools to observe colleagues, or attending conferences.
- Maintaining frequent, sensitive, and effective communication with students, students’ families, colleagues, and other school stakeholders.
Qualifications & Traits
The ideal candidate will have:
- Must be currently certified, or able to complete the Special Education certification requirements within 90-days of hire, as established by MO Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE).
- Experience (minimum two years preferred) providing speech & language therapy to children.
- A commitment to the mission and culture of CWC Kansas City.
- Experience working with diverse populations, including English language learners and students with special needs
- An exhibited ability to work with children in a caring and respectful manner in order to create a joyful, caring classroom environment where instructional time includes community building, conflict resolution, skill-building, and empowering students to be peacemakers and agents for positive social change
- Excellent communication/interpersonal skills as well as a desire to collaborate with various stakeholders to help develop a strong school community
- Maturity, humility, strong work ethic, sense of humor, and a can-do attitude
- Willingness to explore additional school responsibilities (before/after school care and classes, committee involvement, etc.); stipends may be available for such responsibilities.
- Fluency in Spanish is preferred.
Compensation & Benefits
CWC Kansas City offers competitive salaries commensurate with experience and a comprehensive benefits package. CWC Kansas City is an Equal Opportunity Employer. As an organization that values diversity and aims to serve a diverse group of students, we work to reflect this diversity in our staff as well.
Please apply online through the BambooHR Application Portal on our website at www.cwckansascity.org/employment. No phone calls, please.